St Mabyn Parish Church, Cornwall
Extensive and varied works were part funded by English Heritage who carried out inspections at various stages. Ryearch also liaised with the church’s own specialist slate examiner and a dendrotechnologist. The project scope included:
- Erecting a waterproof structure over the main body of the church (kept in place throughout).
- Removal, numbering, storage and replacement including some renewals and some lead/epoxy/dust repairs to the rag slate.
- Roof coverings – renewal of all battens.
- Removal and complete replacement of code seven and eight cast lead valleys and flashings.
- Extensive repairs to the timber sixteenth century roof structures and full replacement of valleys including lay boards.
- Removal, repair and renewal of granite copings to gables along with new lead trays and soakers in cast lead.
- Stabilisation of gable end. Insertion of stainless-steel tie rods and straps and rebuilding followed by cementitious inserted grouting.
- Replacement of cast iron gutters and rainwater systems and decoration.
- Localised repair of internal ceilings, ribs and bosses where affected by leaks prior to the works.
- Repairs to a roof opening.
- Protection, repairs and servicing of the organ.