The Ride Improvement Works, Saltram
The works require improving the standard of the Gypsy and Traveller Site to ensure that it meets the requirements of the Communities and Local Government publication ‘Designing Gypsy and Traveller Sites: A Good Practice Guide.’
The works carried out comprise of the following:
- Improving fire safety by increasing the size of pitches to incorporate the required fire separation distances between caravans of adjacent pitches and providing fire safety points.
- Improving road safety and autonomy of the pitches by providing clear demarcation of the pitches.
- Improving the amenity blocks by making them larger to incorporate a kitchen/dayroom.
- Addressing historical flooding on the site.
We are also restoring the approach to the Saltram Estate from the south by creating a new, improved Gateway into Saltram from The Ride.
Our works specifically focus on creating a new path for cyclists and pedestrians affording views of The River Plym, creating opportunities for people to enjoy and appreciate the scenic riverside views and the development of the existing Saltram Quay.
This has brought pedestrians and cyclists in to Saltram through a pleasurable route via The Beach as opposed to the Ride, thus providing the Traveller’s Site with increased privacy from pedestrians and cyclists.
- Gipsy and traveller site improvements
- Client – Plymouth City Council
- Completion – Ongoing
- Value – £1,400,000