Tavistock Road Housing Development, Derriford
Ryearch was awarded the Design and Build Contract to deliver this high quality housing development in Derriford, Plymouth, comprising 22 dwellings:
- Four two-bedroom houses
- Fifteen three-bedroom houses
- Three two-bedroom flats
Some properties were occupied within hours of being completed, and all were inhabited within a matter of weeks.
The groundworks element of the project was delivered by the Ryearch Civil Engineering team, and included:
- removal of Japanese Knotweed (by national specialists Environet)
- demolition of existing property
- contaminated ground remediation
The site team was also required to rehouse a bat which was roosting within the existing building, and followed an ecological plan based on advice from Natural England. To comply with the plan, Ryearch erected a temporary shed for the bat to roost in before the building was demolished. Bat boxes and bird boxes were then installed on the new properties, before the shed was removed.
The new build works were delivered by the Ryearch Construction team alongside a small number of specialist subcontractors. The houses are timber frame construction, have increased insulation, efficient gas boilers and roof top photovoltaic cells. The properties were built to achieve compliance across three areas:
- in accordance with the Code for Sustainable Homes (note: this code was to raise the national standard for the design and construction of sustainable new homes. It is no longer in use, having been replaced by enhanced Building Regulations).
- in line with ‘Secured by Design‘ guidelines. SBD is a police initiative combining the principles of ‘designing out crime’ with physical security. On this project, the design of the housing scheme included open pathways and installing high-quality locks, doors, windows and fencing.
- in compliance with LABC Warranty, which provides each property with a 12 year guarantee.
The project was very successful, having been completed to budget, on time and to a very high standard. The client was so pleased with Ryearch’s delivery, they subsequently awarded another housing project to us in Southway, Plymouth.
The Tavistock Road housing development won the Highly Commended: Best Social or Affordable New Housing Development’ award at the South West LABC (Local Authority Building Control) Awards in June 2015. Details of all Ryearch awards can be found here.